Executive Director, Foundation
Posted: October 18, 2022
Closes: November 30, 2022
The Skaneateles Education Foundation seeks a highly engaged professional who builds enduring relationships to lead our organization as Executive Director. Responsibilities include leadership, management, and implementation of the SEF’s strategic plan and fundraising efforts. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 5 years of development and fundraising experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in annual giving, corporate sponsorship, and fund management. Experience in donor database administration strongly preferred and experience in organizing events helpful. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent organizational ability. Knowledge of community and school district preferred. The candidate will maintain an in-depth knowledge of SEF’s strategic funding priorities, establish long-term partnerships, and cultivate existing relationships with donors.
This is a 44 week per year, 15-20 hour per week position with flexible work hours. Salary is $25,067. No benefits are provided. Send cover letter and resume to Heather Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Skaneateles Education Foundation, PO Box 16, Skaneateles, NY 13152, Attn: Search Committee. Position closes November 8, 2022.
The Skaneateles Education Foundation (SEF) through its partnership with the community, seeks to enrich the educational experience of every student in the Skaneateles Central School District.
SEF fulfills this mission by engaging the community through charitable contributions to supplement state and local funding with the goals of enriching the curriculum, inspiring educational innovation, and creating possibilities for the students of SCS.
Participation – The Foundation’s board and committees will reflect our community by including a wide range of stakeholders. We will show up to plan, to work, and to succeed.
Accountability – All funds and programs will be managed adhering to the highest ethical standards. We will be excellent stewards of the assets entrusted to us. We will expect equal accountability from our beneficiaries.
Collaboration – The Foundation will be a place where ideas are exchanged, and teamwork prevails. Our work will complement, rather than compete with, district goals and other school support groups.
Integrity – We will learn from our outcomes, continually improve our processes, and build an organization worthy of respect, trust, and longevity.
Impact – Skaneateles students, and the faculty who teach them, will remain the central focus of our work. We will add measurable value, identify outcomes, and faithfully communicate results.
ENGAGE | ENRICH | INSPIRE | CREATE
These four words define what the Skaneateles Education Foundation is all about. We are a non-profit organization made up of dedicated parents, teachers, residents, and alumni who help engage the community, enrich the curriculum, inspire educational innovation, and create possibilities for students and teachers in the Skaneateles Central School District—above and beyond what state and local funding can provide.
Like the Research & Development department of a corporation, SEF is a conduit for community investment and thought leadership, funding new opportunities for pilot curricular development, instructional methodologies, and innovative programs.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Executive Director is responsible for the leadership, management, and implementation of the SEF’s mission, vision, and values. The ED is the face of the organization and will guide the Board of Directors and lead the staff with a values-forward pursuit of the Foundation’s mission and strategic plan. The ED will also serve as the lead Foundation liaison with school district leaders, teachers, and volunteers, working to promote common vision, strategy, and relationships that are mutually beneficial and collaborative to maximize opportunities for students.
Reports to the SEF Board of Directors.
Fiscal Management and Governance
- Designs and recommends annual budget for Board approval
- Manages internal accounting system and oversees annual budget
- Effectively manages the Foundation’s business (e.g. investments, budget, banking, programs) and provides timely reports to the Board
- Manages the execution of annual tax filings and all 501(c)(3) compliance obligations
- Oversees liability, D&O, and other insurance policies and makes recommendations to the Board
- Manages the orientation and on-boarding of new board members
- In collaboration with the Board, develops, plans, and manages comprehensive fundraising program, including annual fund appeal, business sponsorships, targeted campaigns, and major gifts for the purpose of providing financial resources to meet the goals and objectives of the Foundation
- Cultivates and meets with potential donors, alone or with Board members
- Oversees and implements fundraising programs:
- Researches and identifies fundraising sources
- Authors and submits private and public grant applications
- Manages fundraising events
- Manages communications with donor base
- Produces special events (e.g. Academic Circle donor appreciation event, written materials) for the purpose of rewarding and recognizing donors and volunteers for their support
- In collaboration with the Program & Grants committee, reviews potential SEF awards, ensuring that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to and are consistent with the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Works with teachers and administrators to innovate and customize specific programs
- Reviews progress and implementation of funded programs
- Manages quality assessment of SEF grants and programs
- Oversees management of the Art Masterpiece Program and provides necessary support to the volunteer organizers
Public Relations and Community Engagement
- Serves as an advocate and spokesperson for the Foundation to represent its goals to the community and potential donors
- Develops and maintains relationships with leaders throughout the educational, business, political and non-profit communities
- Manages development, content, and updates of the SEF website
- Manages development, design, production, and distribution of written and published materials (foundation annual report, newsletters, promotional materials) to generate awareness of SEF and attract donors
- Supports operations of the Board of Directors by advising and informing Board members, serving as liaison between the Board and staff, and preparing the board meeting agenda and supporting materials
- Drafts policies for Board approval and prepares procedures to implement organizational policies; reviews existing policies on an annual basis, and recommends changes to the Board as appropriate
- Manages CRM database and donor cultivation records, ensuring that accuracy and confidentiality are maintained
- Submits a bi-monthly report to the Board of Directors
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 5 years of development experience including individual giving, corporate sponsorship, alumni engagement, endowments, and special events management
- Experience with data management systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent organizational ability
- Knowledge of Skaneateles community and school district strongly preferred
- Experience with moves management including, but not limited to, prospect qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship